Residential parking permits can be used for on-street parking for eligible residents who own a vehicle and do not have access to off-street parking, where there is a high demand for kerb parking in the street.
New applications are assessed in line with Council’s Parking Controls Policy which clearly sets out where residential parking can be supported.
There are locations throughout the City where exclusion zones prevent eligibility:
- Transport Orientated Developments (Bowden/Brompton, Woodville West and St. Clair)
- Henley Beach (The Esplanade, between North Street and South Street Henley Beach; and Seaview Road between North Street and South Street Henley Beach)
For a new resident to a property that already has an existing zone in place, the application process can be quite simple. Where a residential parking zone needs to be established (new zone) to support parking, further investigation is required by Council to ensure suitability.
There is a non-refundable Application Fee of $50 which must be paid upon submission of your application.
On approval of your application, the following fees will apply:
Permit Fee for Residential/Commercial Parking
$25 per annum per vehicle
Permit Replacement Fee
$10 per annum per vehicle
- Each application will be individually assessed on its merits and Council reserves the right to refuse an application for a Residential Parking Permit.
- To be eligible a person must:
- not have the provision of any off-street parking
- not have on-street parking available to them due to high demand in areas specified in the Parking Controls Policy
- be a permanent resident of the area
- have an applicable vehicle. A vehicle not being a caravan or other trailer and registered to the applicant, which may be parked on the street for extended periods but no more than twenty four (24) consecutive hours (i.e. less than 7.5 metres in length or less than 4.5 tonne) or a company vehicle used by and usually parked at the applicant’s address overnight.
- A maximum of 2 permits allowed per property. You will need to supply the following information with your application:
- Copy of the Vehicle(s) Registration Certificate(s)
- Proof of Residential Status
- For Company Vehicle(s), written authorisation from the Company stating that the applicant has private use of the vehicle
- Applications for a New Zone will be considered within 21 business days from the date that all required information has been lodged with the Council.
- Applications for an Existing Zone will be considered within 10 business days from the date that all required information has been lodged with the Council.
We'll let you know by email when we've received your application.
The assessment process happens within 5 business days and includes:
- confirmation of your details and required documentation supporting your application
- investigation of your proposed activity
- where applicable investigation of installation of a new residential parking zone (consideration within 21 business days)
On approval, you will be provided with a permit confirming the approved activity and the conditions. A Tax Invoice will also be provided for the permit fees and payment must be made within the terms outlined within the Tax Invoice.
You can make payments online or refer to the Tax Invoice for other payment methods.