There are some exciting new external projects that are happening in and around the City of Charles Sturt.
North West Corridor Light Rail
The cities of Charles Sturt and Port Adelaide Enfield are united in calling for the construction of a Light Rapid Transit (LRT) rail corridor to link the existing Adelaide Entertainment Centre tram stop to Outer Harbor – the Northwest Corridor Light Rail.
The 28.5km LRT project will utilise the existing 25km priority rail corridor, plus an additional 3.5km tram link along the Port Road median, extending from the existing terminus at the Adelaide Entertainment Centre. The link will then divert via Kilkenny road back into the existing corridor.
The project will also include additional spur lines to service both the existing Grange service and to West Lakes and an in-street section with two tram stops in Port Adelaide. A further spur to Semaphore Road could be completed as a future stage.
Torrens Road to River Torrens (T2T)
The Torrens Road to River Torrens Project will deliver a 4km non-stop section of South Road between Ashwin Parade, Torrensville and Pym Street Croydon Park, including an upgrade to the parallel South Road surface road, providing significant travel time savings for commuters and freight.
The extension will result in the grade separation of South Road and Torrens Road and extend the lowered motorway by approximately one kilometre. All works will be completed within the current approved $896 million budget and completed within the original timeframe; in 2018.
In December 2014, Commercial & General was named as the successful developer of the AAMI Stadium/Football Park site. The site is being purchased from the South Australian National Football League (SANFL) and is being redeveloped to meet a range of purposes including residential, commercial and community land uses.
WEST is rapidly becoming an established community within the existing surrounds of West Lakes. A snapshot of the project highlights are below:
- The first 3 stages of homes are complete with approximately 220 people now living at WEST
- Central Park landscaping and water feature with fountains and BBQ facilities is completed
- Living options available for all lifestyles, including 1-3 bedroom apartments, terraces and custom homes
- Pine Park landscaping is complete, making a beautiful entry to the project off West Lakes Boulevard
- The next stages of civil works are well underway with more terraces due for completion and handover in the coming months
- Stadium demolition has commenced and is due for completion in March 2019
- Uniting SA have confirmed a state-of-the-art Aged Care and retirement facility on West Lakes Boulevard. The facility includes 108 private rooms with ensuites, 17 retirement living apartments on the top level and an active street frontage that will include a café and allied health services available to everyone
- Charles Street retail precinct is currently being confirmed and more details about this exciting development can be found at www.livewest.com.au
Adelaide Park Lands Upgrade
The Adelaide Park Lands Upgrade involves landscaping, facility and services improvement of the existing Adelaide Park Lands in the western area of the city - equivalent to the size of 2 and a half AFL sporting grounds. The upgrade is located across the road from the Bowden Development and is a partnership between Adelaide City Council, City of Charles Sturt and the Bowden redevelopment.
The plans include play areas, a youth space featuring a skate area, barbecues, tennis and basketball courts, upgraded paths and lighting and a community garden. Through support from the City of Charles Sturt we have included a dedicated youth space and skate area, with design input from local skaters to ensure we got the design right.