Find out more about the City of Charles Sturt's response to COVID-19 including service updates, information, recommendations and resources from SA Health, WHO and the Government.

Dismiss alert

Roads & Traffic FAQ

Traffic Management

Council continues to monitor traffic movements throughout the City and, where warranted, looks at installing traffic calming devices and other road safety measures as a means to increase road safety and manage local traffic conditions and inappropriate use of streets. The improvements of these streets are then linked with other programs including road reconstruction programs or urban regeneration projects.

To guide decision making, the Council has endorsed a Traffic Management Strategy which prioritises the need for the development of Transport Parking Plans (Previously Local Area Traffic Management Plans) and a Walking & Cycling Strategy in the City.

For more information contact the Coordinator Transport Strategy and Assets on 8408 1111 or by email.

Residents are encouraged to submit all concerns in writing with as much detail as possible including photos if available.

Written correspondence can be sent via email, post or our Requests, Compliments and Complaints form and should be addressed to Coordinator Transport Strategy and Assets.

Alternatively you can contact the Customer Contact Centre on 8408 1111 and a Customer Contact Officer will forward your request to our Transport Strategy & Assets team.

Hoon Driving in our Suburbs

If you are witnessing dangerous driving in your area such as speeding or hoon driving behaviour, please report this to the South Australian Police by calling 131 444.

For more information see the South Australian Police Traffic Watch page or read the

Hoon Driving Fact Sheet

The process used to determine whether traffic control should be installed is as follows:

  • Traffic classifiers are placed in the street/s, for approximately a week, to record the number of vehicles using the street, the type of vehicle and the speed at which they travel.
  • The traffic classifier data is then reviewed to establish whether the traffic problem warrants, or meets the criteria for the installation of a traffic control device.
  • When the warrant or criteria is met, Council then reviews traffic control devices that can be used to address the problem. Some examples could be to reduce the amount of traffic - driveway links or pavement narrowing; to separate vehicles at intersections - roundabouts; to reduce speeds - plateaus or centreline and parking line marking.
  • The preferred traffic control device is designed and letters sent to those property owners and occupiers with land fronting the road area to be occupied by the device so they may comment upon the proposal.
  • Once comments are received, Council will install the traffic control device.
  • No decision is made to install the proposed traffic control device until the time allowed for comments has concluded.

For all road damage ensure that you have the street name, suburb, and if possible a street number or identify a landmark that will make the location easy to find

Main roads

All main roads are the responsibility of DPTI. For any damage or road hazards please call the Traffic Management Centre on 1800 018 313.

All other road damage can be reported to our Customer Contact Centre on 8408 1111. The Customer Contact Officer will record the details of the hazard in our Request Management System and forward it to the appropriate team for action.

Once the request has been logged the Customer Contact Officer will provide you with a Customer Reference number which can be used to follow up your request if needed.

If the damage is considered to be dangerous the Customer Contact Officer will  arrange for our Rapid Response Team to attend as soon as possible.

Contractors working for service utility companies that provide water, sewerage, gas, electricity and telecommunications also work on our roads to provide these services to their customers.  Whether it is for a burst water main or a new gas connection to a property, they need to dig up the road to do the necessary work and then restore the road or footpath to a usable state.

Each service utility company is required to notify Charles Sturt of any work their contractor will be carrying out, however, if you notice that a road or footpath has not been restored to its previous usable state, please notify us by calling the Customer Contact Centre on 8408 1111.