Toggle dismiss alert

Find out more about the City of Charles Sturt's response to COVID-19 including service updates, information, recommendations and resources from SA Health, WHO and the Government.

Dismiss alert

Food business notification

All food businesses must notify Council of their food handling operations. This is in accordance with the Food Act 2001.

Notification is useful because it:

  • makes our Environmental Health Officers aware of all food businesses in the city
  • makes sure business owners understand Food Safety Standards and their requirements under the Food Act

For new businesses, we can arrange a pre-opening inspection. This is free of charge and gives you design and layout advice.

We'll also send you a Food Safety Information Kit which includes a copy of the Food Safety Standards.

There are no costs associated with notifying your food business.

Food businesses are subject to routine inspections, generally every 12 months, that do incur a fee.

For all routine inspections and follow up inspections where non-compliances are identified:

  • Premises with 20 or less full time food handlers $129 (GST not applicable)
  • Premises with more than 20 full time food handlers $321 (GST not applicable)
  • Community Groups, Charitable and Not for Profit Organisations No Charge

Fees are set by the South Australian Food Regulations 2017 and are subject to change.

If you are a home based food business please see the Home Based Food Business page.

Once Council has received your notification form, you'll receive a Certificate of Notification and a Food Safety Information Kit.

You can contact the Environmental Health Team to organise a pre-opening inspection. This is free of charge and gives you design and layout advice, as well as useful tips on food safety and running a food business.

If you don’t have a pre-opening inspection, normally your first routine inspection will take place within a month of your business opening. This is an unannounced inspection that may take place at any time.

Food businesses often discharge waste water that needs to be declared with SA Water. Please see the SA Water Trade Waste page for further information:

Food Standards Australia New Zealand provides helpful links to the Food Safety Standards, labelling requirements, nutrition panel information, and much more.

Food businesses are required to ensure that all staff have adequate food handling skills and knowledge.

To help, we're offering a free online food safety training with the I'M A.L.E.R.T program. The program has a series of presentations and interactive tasks about Food Safety Standards. You can complete all sections, or only those relevant to your business.

The entire training takes less than 2 hours to complete.

To get started, visit I'M A.L.E.R.T training.

Need technical help? Food Safety Training assistance is available.

Need help?

Environmental Health Team
8408 1111