COVID-19 Update

Given the unfolding situation relating to COVID-19 in Australia and across the world, here at the City of Charles Sturt we want to be proactive and clear about how we can stay healthy and are making changes to the way we do things. We will continue to provide updates to the services and events that are impacted along with the latest information and recommendations from WHO, SA Health and the Government.

More information

Dismiss alert

Public Space Occupation

It is important that any works associated with building, development, repair and maintenance that require part of or all of the activity to be undertaken from public land obtain permission prior to the commencement of the activity.

These activities can include:

  • erecting hoarding, temporary fencing or scaffolding on Council land
  • placing an industrial bin or building materials on Council land
  • activities that result in partial or full closure of footpaths or roadways, such as crane or truck deliveries or the operation of a concrete pump
  • protection of a building site / work area

There is a non-refundable Application Fee of $50 which must be paid upon submission of your application.

On approval, one of the following fees will apply:

Permit Fee – Minimum Fee


Permit Fee

$3 per metre2, per calendar week or part thereof

Long term projects may be eligible for a 20% reduction in permit fees. Any development involving metre parking will be charged an additional fee based on actual revenue lost.

Additional costs associated with consultation and advertising may also apply where a road or footpath closure or occupation of Community Land is involved.

  1. Read the Public Space Occupation Conditions
  2. Complete the Application Form

We'll let you know by email when we've received your application.

The assessment process will occur within 5 business days and includes:

  • confirmation of your details and required documentation supporting your application
  • investigation of your proposed activity

On approval, you will be provided with a permit confirming the approved activity and the conditions. A Tax Invoice will also be provided for the permit fees and payment must be made within the terms outlined within the Tax Invoice.

You can make payments online or refer to the Tax Invoice for other payment methods.

You will need to supply the following information with your application:

  • Traffic Management Plan
  • Certificate of Currency showing a minimum ten million dollars ($10,000,000) Public Liability Insurance. 
    Note: Tax invoices are not considered sufficient evidence of a Public Liability Insurance Policy.
  • copies of consultation with any potentially affected stakeholders
  • plan showing dimensions of area to be occupied

Applications will be considered within 5 business days from the date that all required information has been lodged with the Council. An application that involves a full or partial road or footpath closure, or occupation of Community Land can take up to 16 weeks to be assessed. Additional costs associated with consultation and advertising may also apply.

Need help?

Permit & Support Officer
8408 1392