212 Port Road
Hindmarsh Post Office opened in June, 1884, following a call for improved postal services for local businesses and residents.
A fine example of a Victorian civic building, it was designed by the Office of the Architect in Chief and built by James Mullen.
The post office lobby was entered from Port Road via sliding doors and iron gates. A telegraph office was accessed from Milner Street. The building also housed a strong room, messenger’s room, night clerk’s room, underground battery room, and Station Master’s residence.
The residence was kept apart from the public offices with a private front entrance. A sitting room, kitchen and scullery were on the ground floor, and bedrooms were upstairs.
The first postmaster was John Bastard. Typically Hindmarsh, he also took part in welfare work for the town. His wife was from the Dench family who were pioneers of Hindmarsh’s leather industry.
In 1941 the building underwent alterations to its interior but apart from that is in excellent original condition.
The Post Office closed in August 2012. It is State Heritage listed.