Military Road and Main Street Precinct is transforming
We are transforming Military Road (North Street to South Street) and Main Street (Military Road to East Terrace) at Henley Beach, as both road assets are due for renewal, and this presents us with the opportunity to upgrade them to better suit the needs and use of the street for the next 60 years.
- streetscape upgrade of Military Road Henley Beach, between North Street and South Street
- streetscape upgrade of Main Street Henley Beach, between Military Road and East Terrace
- conversion of Main Street Henley Beach, between Military Road and Seaview Road to a public plaza (future funding required)
In 2018/19, we consulted with the community about the opportunities for this area and asked you to ‘imagine’ what could be. This was followed by the development of concept plans and further community consultation.
Community engagement on the Draft Concept Plan in April 2019 received community support and raised additional suggestions for improvements.
An opportunity was presented to transform the section of Main Street between Seaview Road and Military Road into a pedestrian plaza, making it an attractive space for people, street life and human interaction with green space. At this point in time, construction of the plaza is not funded as part of the streetscape work however there are future plans to seek funding to complete the plaza redevelopment.
Feedback from the consultation is available online, see:
- Council Report, Item 3.77 presented on 19 August 2020
- Concept Design
- Final Concept Plan (available in early 2021)
- Community Feedback Report
- Consultation Summary
December 2020 to January 2021 - Pre-works to commence - SA Water and Telstra service relocations to occur on Military Road between Main Street and South Street.
January to February 2021 - Design plans available for viewing - Final design plans will be available to view online at charlessturt.sa.gov.au/militaryroadandmain
April 2021 to Late 2022 - Construction to occur - Construction will commence in April 2021 with the undergrounding of powerlines. Construction is expected to continue until late 2022. Traffic
management will be in place.
Keep updated on the project!
For the most up-to-date information during the works, download the ‘SitePodium’ app. The app will be the go-to place for construction updates and photos of the works. You can also provide feedback and message the project team if you have any queries.
1. Head to the App Store or Google Play on your smartphone to download the SitePodium app.
2. In the app, search for ‘Military Road and Main Street Upgrade’ and follow the project.
3. Go to ‘Settings’ in the app and enable ‘Push Notifications’ to get notifications direct to your phone.
Got a question? View our Frequently Asked Questions