Due to the recommendations of the Commonwealth Government, all our libraries are now closed to the public and we are unable to take any work experience applications.
Our Work Experience & Student Placement program helps secondary and tertiary students gain exposure to real world skills to complement their study.
Eligibility & criteria
Students applying for the program must be:
- currently studying in Year 10, Year 11, Year 12 (or equivalent) or at an Australian educational institution
- covered by appropriate insurance through their school/institution for the duration of placement and provide paperwork to verify this
If you do not meet all of the above criteria we are unable to proceed any further with your application.
There are no costs to apply for Work Experience or Student Placement.
You must register your interest at least 6 weeks before the preferred date of placement.
- Read Work Experience at the Library: Information for Students.
- Complete an application form.
When applying, please send us your resume and a cover letter. Your letter should include:
- your current course
- the date you are available from
- the total number of days you require
- the reasons why you want to complete your placement within the City of Charles Sturt Library Service
Our library team will let you know the outcome of your application.
The number and timing of placements offered depends on the capacity of the library to provide effective on the job experience. The City of Charles Sturt Library Service endeavours to accommodate as many students as possible but is unable to guarantee that all will be placed.
Work experience can include skill areas like:
- customer experience: front of house service, off and on desk tasks
- collections: learn how to catalogue. select and process an item
- literacy & learning - programming & events: observe and assist with set up and programming a session
- outreach: join a staff member in home service, mobile library run, home service selection, and outreach sessions
- communications and engagement: introduction and overview of engagement activities
Withdrawing an application
If you have submitted an application and no longer wish to be considered for the Work Experience Program you must email firstname.lastname@example.org and advise that you would like to withdraw your application.