Chat live with us



Dog Responsibilities

Be a Responsible Dog Owner
Dogs on the beachFAQs for dog owners
FAQs for neighbours and community
Register Your Dog

All dogs must be registered when they reach three months of age and then re-registered each year on 1 July. Your dog must wear its registration disc.

Please note: All dogs must be registered from two weeks after moving into the area.

The registered owner must be a person aged 16 years or over, and that person must notify the Council as soon as possible if:

  • the dog is moved to different premises;
  • the dog dies, or is missing for more than 72 hours; or ownership of the dog is transferred to another person

Annual dog registration renewals are sent out in early July and registered dogs have until 31 August to pay (after this date, a late fee of $15.00 is added to the registration fee).

Application For Registration of A Dog (485 kb) 

Dog Registration - Transfer of Ownership (140 kb)

Dog Renewal Payments

Council payments can be made in person at:

The Civic Centre, Woodville: 9.30am - 4.45pm (adjacent to the Civic Library).

Libraries with Customer Service Facilities (pay by cheque or EFTPOS only):

  • Findon Library: Monday - Friday, 9.30am - 4.45pm
  • Henley Beach Library: Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, 9.30am - 4.45pm and Wednesday 1pm - 4.45pm
  • Hindmarsh Library: Monday - Friday, 9.30am - 4.45pm
  • West Lakes Library: Monday - Friday, 9.30am - 4.45pm

Hours of operation are subject to change without notice.

Back to top

What are the rules for dogs?

Dogs must be registered when they reach three months of age, and re-registered by 31 August each year.

To ensure that people and their animals can use public land without being harassed by dogs, the Dog and Cat Management Act 1995 sets out a number of offences for which the owner and/or person responsible for the control of the dog can be expiated. Multiple fines will apply where more than one offence has occurred.

Dog and Cat Management Act, 1995

Back to top

Does my dog need to be on a leash?

Dogs must be kept under effective control at all times regardless of whether the dog is being exercised in a dog on leash or dog off leash area.

Effective Control - Under the provisions of the Dog and Cat Management Act 1995:

  • The dog is on a chain, cord or leash that does not exceed 2 metres in length restraining the dog; or
  • By command, the dog being in close proximity to the person and the person being able to see the dog at all times.

On the Foreshore: During the daylight savings period dogs must be held on a leash between 10am and 8pm and must be under effective control at all times.
Outside daylight savings period, or during the winter months (normally end March through to beginning October), dogs on the beach can be off leash but must be under effective control at all times.

In a public place: Please remember that under the provisions of the Dog and Cat Management Act 1995, dogs in public places (which includes roads, footpaths, paths and all public places unless otherwise stipulated) or in a private place without the consent of the occupier, dogs need to be under effective control by means of a physical restraint. Therefore the dog needs to be on a chain, cord or leash that does not exceed 2 metres in length.

Back to top

How many dogs can be kept on my property?

As per our by-law, the limit on the number of dogs kept will be -

  • In a small premises shall be one dog
  • In premises other than a small premises, where a dog can be effectively contained, the limit shall be two dogs

‘Small premises’ means a premises comprising any self-contained dwelling where the property, or part thereof (ie. Flat, home unit etc), contains a secured unobstructed yard area of less than 100 square metres.

A permit process applies to keep more than the allowable number of dogs (fees apply).

The permit only applies to the dogs approved by Council in the permit application. New dogs are not covered by the permit.

Complaints against dogs covered by the permit will be investigated and the permit may be revoked.

Keep Excess Dogs Permit (143 kb)

Back to top

Should I have my dog desexed?

Desex DogsWe encourage owners to have their dogs desexed and offer a reduction in the registration fee for desexed dogs.

Desexing reduces the desire for dogs to roam, reducing the risk of your dog escaping and becoming lost.
Scientific research has shown that desexing your dog reduces territorial and aggressive behaviour, whilst not changing your dogs personality. It settles them down and makes for a more contented dog.

Back to top

Should I have my dog microchipped?

Microchip DogWe encourage owners to have their dogs microchipped and offer a reduction in the registration fee for microchipped dogs.

Microchipped dogs carry with them a permanent identification, and can be reunited with their owners much sooner.

Note: It is the dog owner's responsibility to ensure their details are kept up to date in the microchipping database.

Note: microchipped dogs are still required to wear a registration disc.

Back to top

I'm no longer able to keep a dog?

If the dog owner can no longer look after their pet, the pet should be taken to the Animal Welfare League.

Only the registered owner may relinquish a pet. Please be aware that ownership of the pet transfers to the Animal Welfare League and it is therefore at their discretion whether it is re-homed or humanely put to sleep. This decision is made after a health examination and temperament assessment of the pet.

Back to top

Are there special rules for guard dogs?

The Dog and Cat Management Board can require the owners of guard dog, patrol dogs and attack trained dogs to:
a) Microchip the dog;
b) keep the dog confined on private property;
c) keep a distinctive collar on the dog;
d) restrain the dog using a leash in public;
e) place warning signs with a 24 hour contact phone number at all entrances to the property;

Attack trained dog: a dog trained, or undergoing training, to attack a person on command;
Guard dog: a dog that is kept on a premises primarily for the purpose of guarding or protecting a person or property at those premises;
Patrol dog: a dog that, under the control of a person, patrols premises for the purpose of guarding or protecting a person or property at those premises.

Back to top

Report dog attacks

We encourage people to report dog attacks to humans or pets.

Statistical data allows us to recognise issues and put strategies in place to address them.

How to report an attack:
Phone 8408 1111 to speak to a member of our Animal Management Team.

A thorough investigation of the incident will be carried out. You will be required to make a written statement and will be asked for any certificates relating to medical treatment or Veterinary accounts for evidence - the Officer may ask to take photos of the injuries sustained.

Back to top

What can be done about a barking dog?

Dogs bark for a variety of reasons including separation anxiety, boredom, changes to lifestyle and health problems.

If you are a neighbour experiencing problems with a barking dog there are a few this you can undertake in working towards a solution.

1. Contact the dog owner

In most cases the dog owner is unaware their dog is barking and the solutions may simply be a visit to your neighbour to inform them of the situation. A face to face visit is usually most effective yet if you are uncomfortable you can simply leave a note in your neighbours letterbox making them aware of the situation.

The Council has created the attached note you can utilise to advise your neighbour of the problem:

Barking dog example letter Barking%20dog%20example%20letter (23 kb) 

2. Involving the Council

Contact the Council on 8408 1111 to discuss your concerns. The formal process involves the Council sending you an information kit with a diary for recording details of the barking behaviour for 14 days.

Once your completed diary is supplied to the Council, one of the Animal Management Officers then assess the dog's behaviour and visit the dog owner. Most owners are willing to work with the council to find ways to stop their dog from barking so much.

If the dog owner fails to decrease the noise nuisance after the initial visit from the Council officer then a full investigation will be conducted. This will include talking to other surrounding neighbours that may also be affected by the dog's behaviour.

If the problem persists, an order may be served on the owner, legally requiring them to take all reasonable steps to reduce the noise.

Back to top

Provide feedback for this page