Chat live with us
Online Chat



Works on Public Road (Driveway Crossover, Private Stormwater & Underground Services)

An engineering permit is required when you are wanting to:

  • Install / Widen / Repair Driveway Crossover
  • Install Private Stormwater Outlet
  • Repair existing Stormwater
  • Lay Underground Services

What are the costs?

There is a non-refundable Application Fee of $50 per permit type / per property which must be paid upon submission of your application. This fee is not required if the driveway has been approved as part of the Development Application. If a tree needs to be removed, additional fees will apply. A City of Charles Sturt Officer will advise you of these once your application has been received.

What do you need to know?

You will need to supply the following information with your application:

  • Contractors Certificate of Currency showing a minimum twenty million dollars ($20,000,000) Public Liability Insurance.
    Note: Tax invoices are not considered sufficient evidence of Public Liability Insurance. 
  • Plan of proposed installation indicating whether the following will impose on the design:
    • Footpath
    • Council Trees or Vegetation
    • Stobie Poles
    • Existing Driveway Crossover
    • Existing Private Stormwater Outlets
    • Council’s Stormwater Drainage Pits
    • Telstra Pits
    • Bus Stops & Shelters
    • Distance shown between any of the above to the Location of Works

      Refer to the ‘Plan of Proposed Work’ example in the ‘Other Helpful Information’ section.

Applications will be considered within ten (10) – fifteen (15) business days from the date that all required information has been lodged with the Council.

If there is a tree on Council verge in the way of works, or within 2m of the proposed works it will require an assessment by Councils Technical Arboriculture Officer, please allow an additional 5 days in the approval process. If the tree is required to be removed all amenity costs will be charged back to the Applicant.  All removal and stump grinding works will be organised by Council’s Arboriculture Team. If fees are not paid, removal will not occur and work cannot commence. Under no circumstance will trenching on both sides of a tree trunk be allowed

What happens next?

You will receive an email acknowledging receipt of your application.

The assessment process will occur within ten (10) to fifteen (15) business days and will include:

  • Confirmation of your application
  • Investigation of your proposed activity

On approval, you will be provided with a permit confirming the approved activity and the conditions. A Tax Invoice will also be provided if any additional fees apply.

 The permit is valid for 12 months after the date of issue.

Who to call for help?

Engineering Strategy and Assets 
Phone: (08) 8408 1111

Provide feedback for this page