The City of Charles Sturt has funded $15 million of the works through our Long Term Financial Plan, and welcomed a $7.5million funding contribution from the Office of Recreation and Sport and a $4million funding contribution from the Department of Education and Child Development.
The revitalised St Clair Precinct includes
Stage 1 - St Clair Recreation Centre (completed and open to the public):
- A brand new six court basketball stadium
- Dedicated indoor roller skate area
- Indoor function space
- Indoor meeting spaces
- Indoor café
- Stadium gymnasium
- Integrated heritage aspects
Stage 2 (completed and open to the public):
- A brand new expansive play space including nature play (water and sand) and all ability inclusive spaces
- New recreation and picnic areas including accessible smart barbecues (the first in Charles Sturt) and 9 Smart Sensor technology bins
- 6 new community use tennis courts and 1 futsal court
- Improved car parking and pedestrian connections to Woodville Road, train station, St Clair suburb and Woodville High School
- Commemorative space
- New skate park
The revitalised precinct has created a destination and focal point on Woodville Road, providing a range of new experiences for residents and visitors. The playground and facilities for young people is one of the largest developed within the City and is of unique and world class design. Check out the St Clair Playspace Design.
We have also upgraded and expanded the existing playing fields, removing existing mounds and creating more flexible playing surfaces, and have added BBQ and picnic facilities.
The state of the art recreation facilities, have attracted residents and visitors from Charles Sturt and all over metropolitan Adelaide, and have been designed to complement the St Clair Recreation Centre and its offerings. Our Open Space Strategy, along with the Woodville Village Master Plan, prioritised the upgrade, with an expansive play space, an event space, and the skate park, which features a half court basketball court. Check out the St Clair Final Precinct Master Plan.
The overall building design of St Clair Recreation Centre has been undertaken with input from key stakeholders, user groups and community. The design addresses the shortage of indoor courts identified within the Western Adelaide Sporting Facility Supply & Demand Study and the aspirations of the community to see the heritage component of the building retained, enhanced and the centre expanded.