The City of Charles Sturt is proud to present the Spring Garden Competition 2019.
Judging took take place during the following dates 1 October – 4 October 2019 and 21 October – 25 October 2019.
A huge thank you to everyone who entered this year’s Spring Gardening competition.
We are committed to protecting our natural environment, preserving our heritage environment and planning for our built environment into the future. One way we can do all of these things is by celebrating our community’s gardens. These are special places where we focus on our natural environment in the midst of homes, buildings and the hustle and bustle of suburban life.
We were delighted by all of the entries, showcasing the many beautiful gardens across the City. This year, the judges, Mayor Angela Evans and Janet Willoughby, Councils Open Space Community Planner visited around 50 gardens from all over Charles Sturt. There were many beautiful gardens, each one different to the other, but all great in their own right.
On Tuesday 19 November, we held our Awards night, with special guest Sophie Thomson. The 2019 categories and winners were:
Small Garden Award
Jessica Fendler of Allenby Gardens
Home Garden Award
Susan Moore and Terry Owen of Semaphore Park
Food Garden Award
Brooklyn Mabbott of Bowden
Non-Residential Garden Award
All members of The Henley Community Garden
School Garden Award
Henley Beach Primary School
The Palms Education Centre at Findon High School
Most Loved Street
Rosetta Street Greening
Anthony Spadavecchia of St Clair
Mayors Special Recognition Award
The Welcoming Centre in Bowden
Woodville West Community Garden
Children’s Dream Garden
Well done to our young dream gardeners in categories 2-5, 6-10 and 11-13 years:
Juliette and Genevieve Lawlor
Great Garden Citizen
Mark Gauci of West Croydon and Rosetta Street Greening.
If you have any queries please contact Sue Tripodi on 8408 1306 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Spring Garden Competition Terms & Conditions
By submitting an entry, you are agreeing to the following terms and conditions:
All gardens and gardeners must be located within the City of Charles Sturt.
- Final judging will be carried out by a panel of judges who have been appointed by the City of Charles Sturt
- All prizes are awarded at the discretion of the judges, whose decision will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- All participants are automatically in the running for the ‘Mayor’s Encouragement Award’ category. The winner of this category cannot win this prize in two consecutive years.
- Entrants agree to allow their image and gardens to be photographed by a nominated person from the City of Charles Sturt. Photographs may be reproduced in the City of Charles Sturt promotional material to be used by Council at its discretion.
- The judging criteria for each category will be:
I. Overall design
II. Use of Plants
III. Originality and Creativity
IV. Environmental Initiatives
- Mail entries to:
Spring Garden Competition 2019
City of Charles Sturt
PO BOX 1
WOODVILLE SA 5011
- Council staff and their immediate families are not eligible to enter this competition.
- Judging will take place during the following dates - 1 October 2019 – 4 October 2019 and 21
October 2019 – 25 October 2019
- Presentation Night of Awards Tuesday 19 November 2019
- Entrants no longer need to submit a photograph, a Council representative will take a photo of the garden.
- Entries close on Friday 6 September 2019
- Entry to the Spring Garden Competition 2019 is free.
Personal information collected from you is held and used by Council under the provisions of the Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1998. The supply of information is voluntary, however if you cannot provide, or do not wish to provide the information sought, Council may be unable to process your application or request, or consider your submission.
Please note that the exchange of information between the public and Council, may be accessed by others and could be made publicly available under the Government Information Public Access Act 2009 (GIPA Act). If you require further information please contact Council’s Customer Service Centre on 8408 1111.