65 Woodville Road, Woodville
The Savings Bank of South Australia (now Bank SA) was the first bank to operate in Woodville. The bank opened an agency in 1904 after Woodville Council petitioned them for local bank services for the convenience of ratepayers.
During the 1920s the Savings Bank experienced a significant increase in business across South Australia. This led to the construction of many new bank branches. In Woodville, the growth of the bank’s business matched the growth of the district due to the establishment of local industries, including the relocation of Holden Motor Body Builders. The Woodville agency was converted into a branch in 1922. It operated from rented premises in Russell St.
Land on Woodville Road was purchased by the bank in 1924. A new branch building was built in 1930. The bank was heralded as a ‘handsome addition to Woodville Road’, with a ‘modern, well fitted banking chamber’. A bank manager’s residence of two bedrooms, living room, dining room, kitchen and bathroom occupied the second storey (Mr DE Edwards was the manager). At the time of opening, there were 2,270 depositor’s accounts.
The bank ceased operation in the mid-1990s. The building was purchased by the City of Charles Sturt in 1997. It was the location of Council’s youth services until 2014. In 2015, the bank was transformed into restaurant space.
The building is listed as a local heritage place. It is considered of heritage value because it represents the development of Woodville Road as the commercial centre of Woodville, and the development and expansion of the Savings Bank of South Australia.
The bank was designed by architect JH Laity and built for approximately £4,000 by Fricker Bros. of Alberton. It is constructed of random coursed stone with brick sides. It features:
- Rendered parapet and arch over the first floor opening.
- Main entrance flanked by rendered pillars with small balcony over, with masonry balustrading.
- Double hung sash windows to first floor, with multi-paned top sashes.
- Fixed glass windows to ground floor, decorative glazed panel over front entrance doors.
SourcesCity of Woodville Heritage Survey, Danvers Architects, 1994
News, Home Edition, 7 March 1930, ‘Savings Bank’, p4: http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article128988661
The Advertiser, 2 October 1930, ‘New Bank at Woodville’, p10.
News, Home Edition, 6 October 1930, 'Woodville Savings Bank', p4: http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article130228869