Development & Infrastructure

Development & Infrastructure

Roads FAQ

Grange RoadHow do I report a traffic problem occurring in my street to Council?

The customer should send a letter to Council, describing in as much detail as possible about the traffic problem. Letters can be sent to Traffic Management, City of Charles Sturt, PO Box 1, Woodville SA 5011.

What process is used to determine whether a traffic control should be installed?

The process used to determine whether traffic control should be installed is as follows:

  • Traffic classifiers are placed in the street/s, for approximately a week, to record the number of vehicles using the street, the type of vehicle and the speed at which they travel.
  • The traffic classifier data is then reviewed to establish whether the traffic problem warrants, or meets the criteria for the installation of a traffic control device.
  • When the warrant or criteria is met, Council then reviews traffic control devices that can be used to address the problem. Some examples could be to reduce the amount of traffic - driveway links or pavement narrowing; to separate vehicles at intersections - roundabouts; to reduce speeds - plateaus or centreline and parking line marking.
  • The preferred traffic control device is designed and letters sent to those property owners and occupiers with land fronting the road area to be occupied by the device so they may comment upon the proposal.
  • Once comments are received, Council will install the traffic control device.
  • No decision is made to install the proposed traffic control device until the time allowed for comments has concluded.
How do I report damage to a road?

The best way to report damage to a road is to call the Customer Call Centre 8408 1111 and they will record the information that you provide on our Customer Tracking System.  This work will then be placed on a programmed maintenance schedule.  If the request is considered to be urgent, it will be attended to as soon as possible by our Rapid Response Team.

Who else could be working on my road?

Contractors working for service utility companies that provide water, sewerage, gas, electricity and telecommunications also work on our roads to provide these services to their customers.  Whether it is for a burst water main or a new gas connection to a property, they need to dig up the road to do the necessary work and then restore the road or footpath to a usable state.

Each service utility company is required to notify Charles Sturt of any work their contractor will be carrying out, however, if you notice that a road or footpath has not been restored to its previous usable state, please notify us by calling the Customer Call Centre on 8408 1111.

Provide feedback for this page