Chat live with us
Online Chat

Lifestyle

Lifestyle

Hindmarsh’s Hotels

Former Park View Hotel
18 Park Terrace, Bowden

In 1851, Levi Groves, a tanner, was finally successful in gaining a licence for the Tanners Arms Inn. It was located in Sixth Street, Bowden.

In 1921, the Inn was forced to address the poor conditions of its run-down premises. As a result, a new hotel was constructed on the corner of Fifth Street and Park Terrace.

The name changed to Park View in September 1927.

Hotel advertising boasted that it featured ‘all the latest conveniences to fit in with the go-ahead times’:

Visitors from other states or the country can rely upon receiving the very best attention at the nicely situated house – so close to the city yet far from the madding crowd. ‘The Liquor Trade and Licensed Victuallers’ World’, Sport, 25 Nov 1927.

In later years, the hotel was the social and function centre for the adjoining Clipsal factory, which closed in 2009.

The Park View Hotel is recognised as a Local Heritage Place. It is a fine example of a red brick hotel constructed during the 1920s. It retains all the timber detailing of its verandah which is indicative of its date of construction.

Provide feedback for this page