Chat live with us



Public Space Occupation

It is important that any works associated with building, development, repair and maintenance that require part of or all of the activity to be undertaken from public land obtain permission prior to the commencement of the activity. 

The following are a sample of activities that require approval:

  • erecting hoarding, temporary fencing or scaffolding on Council land
  • placing an industrial bin or building materials on Council land
  • activities that result in partial or full closure of footpaths or roadways, such as crane or truck deliveries or the operation of a concrete pump
  • protection of a building site / work area
What are the costs?

There is a non-refundable Application Fee of $50.00 which must be paid upon submission of your application.    On approval, one of the following Fees will apply:

Permit Fee – Minimum Fee $50.00
Permit Fee 5.00 per metre2, per calendar week or part thereof
What do you need to know?

You will need to supply the following information with your application:

  • Traffic Management Plan
  • Certificate of Currency showing a minimum ten million dollars ($10,000,000) Public Liability Insurance. 
    Note: Tax invoices are not considered sufficient evidence of a Public Liability Insurance Policy.
  • Copies of consultation with any potentially affected stakeholders
  • Plan showing dimensions of area to be occupied

Applications will be considered within five (5) business days from the date that all required information has been lodged with the Council.

How to apply?
  1. Read the Public Space Occupation Conditions
  2. Complete the Application form

What happens next?

You will receive an email acknowledging receipt of your application.

The assessment process will occur within five business days and will include:

  • Confirmation of your details and required documentation supporting your application
  • Investigation of your proposed activity

On approval, you will be provided with a permit confirming the approved activity and the conditions.  A Tax Invoice will also be provided for the permit fees and payment must be made within the terms outlined within the Tax Invoice.  Payment can be made electronically by following the link below, or refer to the Tax Invoice for other payment methods.

Who to call for help?

Community Safety
Phone: (08) 8408 1198

Other Helpful Information

Section 222 of Local Government Act 1999

Fees and Charges Register (561 kb)

Requests, Compliments, Complaints

Removal of Asbestos Information

Stormwater Pollution Prevention

Skip Bin/Shipping Container Application

Provide feedback for this page